Hear more from us. Sign up for our newsletter.
With exciting changes and some major wins it’s safe to say BATC had an amazing year. Here are our top 10 of 2016:
1. Advocacy Success: Housing First wins big on election day! We achieved our goals of elevating our issues and building a caucus of Housing Champions at the capitol. ALL 16 of the Housing First PAC endorsed candidates, have been elected to the Minnesota Legislature. This sets the stage for us to advance our legislative agenda in 2017. Additionally, we created the Home Builder Advocate Network. Watch for our network to come to life in 2017 as we expand Housing First and engage our members in Housing Day at the Capitol in collaboration with the Minnesota Association of Realtors on February 23. Details here.
2. Messaging Pivot: In 2016 our Board commissioned research on positive messaging that demonstrates what our industry stands for. Our new tagline is Experts in Building Community. We’ll be showcasing that expertise through our industry laborers using language that speaks to the emotion of communities and home ownership.
3. Growing Media Presence: We’ve expanded our relationships with key members of the media who cover housing, and we’ve begun building relationships with the Capitol Press Corps. This helps us achieve our vision of being the leading voice for builders and remodelers.
4. Consumer Research: We wanted to know how the general public felt about the Parade of Homes and the Remodelers Showcase so that we can insure that we provide new home buyers with the experience they seek. Again, our Board commissioned primary research and it revealed strong positive emotions about the Parade. We learned that our buyers want even more information on the website, which we’re now implementing.
5. Artisan Home Tour Shows Craftsmanship: It was a landmark year for the Artisan Home Tour. We had excellent homes in the tour and saw our attendance rise dramatically over the previous year. We enjoyed outstanding media coverage, all of which helps elevate our industry and BATC. We can’t wait for this year’s event in June.
6. Green Path Tops 8,000: Our green building program, Green Path, topped 8,000 Home Performance Reports for tested homes, as green construction becomes more important. The number of Parade homes that are tested has risen dramatically. Watch for enhancements to Green Path in the year ahead as the utilities roll out their new program.
7. Membership Growth: For the first time in more than a decade, BATC achieved substantial membership growth. We finished the year with more than 200 new members, retention of 91% and net growth of more than 7.5%. Everyone wants to be part of a winning team and that’s reflected in BATC’s growth.
8. Office Remodel Completed: We bring many legislators, regulators and industry leaders to BATC headquarters here in Roseville, and our office was in need of an update. Our leadership complied, authorizing a significant office remodel that showcases our industry and provides just the kind of meeting space reflecting our industry’s leadership role. Stop by and check it out.
9. Financial Review. It’s important to know that your Association is being run professionally and according to the highest standards. We completed a financial review with a leading outside accounting firm, CliftonLarsonAllen, and were pleased to receive high marks. Our Board of Directors plans to continue this practice in the future.
10. The BIG Night was Really BIG. Our Building Industry Gala (BIG) Night was a smash success, with record attendance and more awards than ever. What a great opportunity to connect, network, share stories and celebrate our great industry. This has truly become THE night for our industry.
We are very excited for what’s ahead in 2017! We hope you’ll join us! Be sure to check out our event calendar and save the dates for all your favorite BATC events.